How Do My Hormones Affect My Weight Loss Journey?
Aside from food and physical activity, hormones also play a role in weight loss. Are you one of the women having sign of hormone imbalance & considering a thyroid hormone therapy?
Trying to lose weight by following a diet regimen or a popular workout program only to feel it’s not working out for you? We all have been there. This leads us to the main question: what exactly will work for us?
It’s common for people to think that food and physical activity are the only factors needed to lose weight. However, other factors may also come into play, such as your lifestyle patterns, habits, and hormones.
Many people suffer from hormone imbalance and don’t even know it. This causes frustration as to what is wrong with their bodies.
Thyroid Hormone Therapy: How do hormones play a role in weight loss?
Our body produces various hormones. Several hormones primarily affect our weight by influencing appetite and how much fat we store in the body. The most common hormones that affect fat loss are insulin, leptin, ghrelin, cortisol, and estrogen.
- Insulin is a hormone needed to normalize glucose (sugar) levels in the body. It is secreted in small amounts throughout the day and larger amounts after meals. It is also responsible for fat storage in the body. Basically, elevated insulin levels block the breakdown of fat and carbohydrates in the body, contributing to increased fat and weight gain. Eating better-quality carbohydrate sources (whole grains, lentils, chickpeas, and berries) and fewer carbohydrates overall may help to reduce elevated insulin levels.
- Leptin is a hormone produced by fat cells. It acts to alter food intake and control energy expenditure in the body. Leptin reduces appetite and can make you feel full. Sometimes, the brain does not respond to leptin, also called leptin resistance. The body is resistant to the effects of leptin, so the individual continues eating despite having enough fat storage, which leads to weight gain.
- Ghrelin is like a hunger hormone. Like leptin, it communicates with the brain to tell you to eat. Ghrelin levels increase when the stomach is empty, and levels are lowest just after you’ve finished the meal. Regardless of your weight, ghrelin levels rise and make you hungry when starting a diet to lose pounds. This is the body’s natural response to prevent starvation. Increased ghrelin levels make us hungry, making it harder to lose weight.
- Cortisol is also known as the “stress hormone.” During stressful situations, like when exercising, the body releases cortisol. Increased levels of cortisol can lead to overeating and weight gain. To reduce cortisol levels, a well-balanced diet, along with stress-management exercises, is suggested.
- Estrogen is the most important female sex hormone, and it is very tricky to regulate. It is produced by the ovaries and regulates the female reproductive system. At puberty and in pregnant and obese women, increased estrogen levels promote fat storage and weight gain. Menopausal women usually have decreased estrogen levels, promoting insulin resistance and weight gain in the hips, thighs, and abdomen. Estrogen levels should be balanced to reduce fat storage in the body.
- T3 (triiodothyronine) & T4 (thyroxine) – T3 and T4 are produced when the brain produces thyroid-stimulating hormone (TSH). The imbalance of thyroid function, whether too much or too little production, leads to fatigue, inability to lose weight, diarrhea, and hair loss. Studies have shown that higher baseline levels of T3 and T4 are associated with more weight loss among overweight and obese adults with normal thyroid function. In addition, thyroid hormones increase basal metabolic rates.
Hormones and weight gain have a complex relationship. Understanding how hormones work can help lose weight sustainably and healthily.
Learn More Here: How to Stay Younger with The Best Menopause Treatment in Florida
How do I balance my hormones?
Hormone therapy is the best way to balance your hormones. Thyroid hormones control metabolism, and their levels are closely linked to energy levels and weight over time. Moreover, balanced thyroid hormones help in the optimal function of overall mental and physical fitness.
Thyroid hormone therapy is an excellent treatment to restore normal functioning. It can also help regulate your metabolism to help you lose weight.
Thyroid hormone therapy for women is an approach to managing weight that includes iodine supplements and thyroid replacement hormones combined with diet, exercise, and lifestyle changes. Other benefits of thyroid hormone therapy include:
- Restored metabolic rates
- Improved energy and prevents fatigue
- Proper regulation of body temperature
- Improved mood swings
Ready to lose weight and feel great?
At Hormone Logics, we can help you understand hormone imbalances and how they affect your body. We offer hormone therapy to correct these imbalances.
Hormone Logics is a premier medical wellness center in West Palm Beach, FL. We specialize in various programs, such as nutraceuticals, bioidentical hormone therapy, testosterone therapy, and customized diet and exercise regimens. We focus on individualized hormone therapy for men and women for approved indications of low testosterone and menopause. We believe that aging better should be effortless. We provide hormone therapy, diet, and exercise programs to help you achieve your personal health goals. Our staff of medical professionals is dedicated to helping you meet your needs and goals.
Our goal is to help you become a better version of yourself through hormone therapy. Come see what our program can do for you! Contact Hormone Logics today at 800-754-1481 to schedule a consultation to determine what hormone therapy program is suitable for you.